We live in interesting times. We are surrounded by technology that is supposed to make our lives easier but, instead, it seems like life is more complex and busier than ever.
If you are like me, there are times that you just want to turn off all of the noise and experience that quietness, personal sanity and balance that you crave. Think about a typical day…there are emails, phone calls and texts (most come with notifications), kitchen and laundry appliances that beep endlessly until we respond, various alarms and notifications on our calendars and phones, social media that encourages us to react or interact immediately, and of course, those oh so helpful voices to give us info and navigate us through life…Alexa, Siri, Bixby, etc. etc. Is it any wonder we feel overwhelmed? The world really is screaming in our ear.
But, never fear, there are antidotes…and I’m about to share my favorite one…CREATIVITY!
Some of you who have spent time with me know that I have a motto that I genuinely live by…”Do Something Creative Every Day!”. “But, Carol”, you may say, “You have an ax to grind…you are in a creative business. Of course you are going to promote creativity.”
It may surprise you that it’s pretty common in the world of psychotherapy to recommend creative pursuits for people going through some challenges in their lives. Here are just a few of the positive benefits of creativity:
- Stress Release. OK, that’s a biggie since most of us would probably say we live with a lot of stress. Here’s how it works. When we put our time and energy into creating something we love, it brings us happiness. And, of course, happiness helps to relieve stress. Here’s what I would add to the equation…put away those electronics that distract…they add to the stress and take us away from focusing on the creative challenge.
- Freedom. Creativity encourages us to take risks, to try and learn new things, to think and do outside the box. As I often tell workshop attendees…there are no right or wrong ways to create your book pages! In a world where we seem to always be mindful of saying and doing just the right things, wouldn’t it be a huge relief to have a least one daily activity, a creative one, where the pressure is totally off?
- Authenticity. Have you ever looked at a project, a piece of art, a well-designed room or other result of creative effort and figured out who the artist or designer was just by the style? Here’s the thing…when you develop new ideas and try new techniques long enough, you will develop your own style…and that, my friends, is authenticity. It doesn’t matter what your BFF’s are doing with their projects, you know what you love and aren’t afraid to express it. And that leads to the next benefit…
- Confidence! When you learn that the work you have created has value…maybe not monetary, but certainly psychic, you develop a confidence in your abilities that carries over into other avenues in life. Wow!
- Problem-solving. That’s another biggie! Exercising the brain, practicing flexibility, experimentation…even in just one area…trains it to do the same in other areas. The result…a strong creative mind!!!
Those are some pretty incredible bennies…just from practicing one antidote every day.
Now, it may be that you were once into scrapbooking, memory art, altered art, etc. and have totally lost interest. There are just so many other areas of creativity that you can try…other areas of art such as painting or sculpting, sewing/quilting, cooking, gardening, photography, interior decorating, creative writing…and the list goes on. Go for it!!!
But, if you still have an interest in memory art (you haven’t gotten rid of all of your stuff 😉 ), but the world has been screaming in your ear for far too long, may I encourage you to take some time every day (even if it’s just a few minutes) to work on something that you love.
And, if you are needing something new to get you jumpstarted, consider pre-ordering my newest creatologie album kit, “A Softly Spoken Spring”. It just may be the very best antidote to the world screaming in your ear. The previous blog post gives some details and pictures and here are a few more to whet your appetite!
To pre-order your kit today, simply click on the Buy Now button below. I’ll be shipping the kits starting March 9th.
So, get creative and here’s to a better life with some quietness, personal sanity and balance!
From my creative studio to yours,
SPRING KITS ARE SOLD OUT! THANK YOU!